American drug usage statistics tell a pretty grim tale. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that nearly 12% of Americans over 12 used illicit drugs in the past month. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) reveals that more than 6% of people over 12 misused some form of prescription medication in the past year.
Such statistics are a major reason why many employers do drug screenings on people applying for jobs. Others require their current employees to undergo regular drug screenings. Our specialists at Background Experts can help you learn more about the whys behind employee drug screening. We can also help HR professionals and hiring managers find effective drug screening services.
Why do employers do drug screenings?
If your company already does some type of drug testing, you’re likely aware of the reasons behind it. Yet HR professionals or hiring managers who are just now implementing drug screenings for their company may not. Some people might think that drug tests simply allow companies to fire or not hire people who are breaking the company’s drug usage policies. However, drug testing has far more goals in mind, including:
- Helping to keep other employees safe.
- Helping to keep employees as productive as possible.
- Helping employees maintain better health.
- Identifying employees who may want to consider company-sponsored or private help to stop abusing drugs or alcohol.
How can Background Experts help companies with their drug screening needs?
Our team can play a major role in helping your business design and carry out its drug screening process. Some of the ways we can assist you include:
- Offering a variety of drug testing options, including urine, hair and alcohol breath testing.
- Conducting a wide range of DOT and Non-DOT panels, including five-, seven-, nine- and 10-panel drug tests.
- Providing drug tests that are all certified MRO reviewed.
- Collaborating with over 10,000 test collection sites.
- Ensuring that our customers can track every step of their screening process.
We are also now offering in-office OralTox oral fluid drug testing kits. Rapid oral testing saves time and money by providing immediate results thereby expediting the hiring process. OralTox kits return results in less than ten minutes and cost less than half traditional laboratory testing.